Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Diving Deeper Into Open Source

Recovery

After the frantic nature of finding projects, finding bugs, building projects, and making pull requests I needed a little break. So I have been looking into projects that might find interesting. A few that caught my interest were Dark Chatter, Creative Collab and supernova from fellow students.

Dark Chatter

Dark chatter is interesting to me since seems like it will rely on low level stuff like constructing packets and it will help me understand more on how wifi works.

Creative Collab

Creative collab also expressed interest in doing the project in mostly as a backend server that has public end points. It would be neat to learn how to create a server to host an api that anyone can use.

supernova

Super nova caught my interest not because of the idea but more of the language choice. I have never used rust and learning it through open source seems like a good way to find out about the language.

External Projects

Goblin Camp

Goblin camp is kind of like a open source dwarf fortress and it was forked by a class mate with the intention of parallelizing it, since the original is still running on a single thread. As of right now I am stuck in the same slog that kept me from trying other projects, getting it to build. But since I have a little more leeway with this due date being more lenient than the hacktoberfest one I think I will try to push through to get it to work. The project is also been abandoned for a couple years so it might take some time to get it all working.

Path Forward

Now I'm going to try to dedicate some time to building the projects I'm interested as well as seeing what I can contribute. Maybe even make some issues, who knows, I feel more confident after hacktoberfest and excited to apply all that I learned going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Releases